Monday, January 08, 2007

About the M3

"We need a blog about the M3," Fashpo said. So blame the orange-haired librarian if you don't like cars.

Last week, during my extremely non-productive time off, I got out for a good drive or two. One day I woke up hearing a radio forecast of sleet, snow and freezing rain in the mountains. So naturally I jumped in my rear-drive coupe with semi-slick performance tires and headed for the mountains.

I turned around when it got too stupid, of course, but not before I had some fun and took some pictures. Most of which didn't come out. Apparently, cameras need light. Which was a revelation to me, so the nice, nestled back in the trees pics I took didn't come out at all. But a few others did.

The scenery was beautiful, especially the snow-dusted mountainsides visible from the road. But, once again, I'm rubbish with a camera, so you'll have to take my word for it.

The old M3 was marvelous, once I was able to break out of traffic. The back roads through the forest and mountains are good and twisty, and this car has far more grip than I will ever need, absent a Bugatti full of machine-gun wielding thugs behind me. The steering is about as communicative as you'd want on American roads. Some folk say E36 M3 steering was vague (though not as vague as E46 M3 steering), but they're shmucks. Any more feedback, and your average North American road would drive you completely nuts, imvho.

Just before the weather forced me back to lower altitudes, I got it up as fast as I've driven the car so far. I've driven considerably faster in lesser cars, but I wouldn't want to anymore, after getting the feel of this one. Dead stable at high speed. It just hunkers down, feels very well connected to the road. Very impressive, though I'll admit it is fresh from a full 4-wheel alignment at the shop.

Of course, I never exceeded the posted speed limits. Whatever the hell they were.

6 comments:

Tim Akers said...

Oh! Oh! I think the A4 might have to come out and play.

If only there were roads worth driving around here.

Fashionpolice said...

:)

Splitcoil said...

You better get that A4 out on the road, tim. But yeah, as to where you'd take it, it beats me.

You could drive to Seattle and use the same scenery. : )

Splitcoil said...

Took me long enough, didn't it, fashpo? I had to recover from the shock of owning it to actually blog about it.

Tim Akers said...

There was some great driving on my trip down to Carolina last year, but I don't have any pictures. Because, of course, I was driving.

We're thinking of making the drive to Albany in the fall. Maybe.

Newro said...

Semi-slick performance tyres on 5cm of fresh white snow. Tried that once. Couldn't even get out of the drive way.

Just wanted to tell you, that you are not as rubbish with the camera as you might think. The pictured turned out quite good.